ECU Remap vs Diesel Tuning Box – Which is better?
- A quick search of the internet ECU Remap vs Diesel Tuning Box for advice and comparisons of diesel remaps vs diesel tuning boxes, reveals a near-unanimous opinion that the remap is far superior to any diesel tuning box.
- Most people (except maybe diesel tuning box manufacturers!) will agree that a diesel tuning box is no match for a proper engine remap. And how could it be? – To map a n engine properly, in accordance with engine speed (rpm) and load, it is essential to know what the engine speed and load values actually are at any given moment.
- Without such information, no diesel tuning box, however sophisticated it may be, can compete with a professional diesel engine remap.
- A full engine remap performed by a reputable remap specialist will always be able to out-perform any diesel tuning box in terms of performance, economy and drive-ability.
HOW A TUNING BOX WORKS?
- Tuning boxes work in a different way – essentially overruling the ECU and tricking it into increasing engine performance. Fitted between the engine sensors and the actuator, a tuning box sits down the line from the ECU, and alters the data that the ECU receives and sends to the engine.
- This means feeding the ECU inaccurate data about fuel pressure and telling the ECU that the fuel pressure is lower than it is – so the ECU forces the engine to increase the fuel pressure to compensate, boosting engine performance.
- However, this can be dangerous, and there’s always the chance that you overstress the engine, causing unnecessary wear and tear and reducing the lifespan of your engine.
HOW ECU REMAPPING WORKS?
- ECU remapping is taking a read from the ECU’s processing chip of the vehicles standard compromised map and adjusting various parameters within the map such as fuel pressure, boost pressure (on turbocharged applications) ignition advance and throttle pedal control amongst others to release the true performance from the engine.
- It is a completely safe process as it is just giving the engine the performance it should have had in the first place before all the compromises were applied to the original programming.
- Every engine will have its own unique map and by adjusting this we can fine tune the characteristics of the engine; unleashing more power and in many cases reduce fuel consumption too.
WHICH IS BEST?
|An ECU re-flash or remap works by altering the software inside the ECU – a vehicle’s on board computer that’s responsible for controlling vital engine functions including ignition timing, fuelling and boost pressure.||Feeding the ECU inaccurate data about fuel pressure and telling the ECU that the fuel pressure is lower than it is!!|
|The Quantum Remapper (touch screen tool) is an amazing device to reprogram your vehicle ECU within few minutes through vehicle’s OBD port.||The most advanced & reputed tuning box can alter only the fuel pressure and fuel duration by tricking ECU which can be harmful to the vehicle’s engine in the long term.|
|Nothing needs to be connected to the vehicle after tuning to get the benefits||The diagnostic system is disturbed|
|No loose boxes and wiring flexes in the engine compartment||The calculation of service interval is disturbed|
|Torque comes soft and smooth, Torque is adjusted/limited on lower gears (to avoid damage on the transmission)||The calculation of exhaust temperature is disturbed|
|Boost pressure and air flow is optimised||The regeneration (emptying) of particle filter will not be optimal|
|The original settings can be reinstalled if required||Torque reduction when shifting gear (for comfort and durability) is not retained|
|On board computer shows correct fuel consumption||The automatic gearboxes get incorrect torque value|
|Anti skid program (ESP) function is fully retained||The anti skid program (ESP) is disturbed because of incorrect torque value|
|Torque reduction when shifting gear (for comfort and durability) is retained||The on board trip computer shows improved fuel consumption, but the real amount left in the tank is less, as fuel is being injected without any of the sensors detecting the additional amount entering the cylinder.|
|Regeneration (emptying) of diesel particle filter (DPF) is retained optimal||Short term solution with cheap rates with an already programmed chip which feeds the ECU inaccurate data about fuel pressure & end up getting nothing.|
|Correct calculation of exhaust temperature & service intervals||Tuning Boxes can be installed in minutes and updated through the post minimizing down time.|
|The diagnostic system is retained|
|Long term solution with best value for money by reprogramming the actual ECU with an option to restore original ECU file stored inside the tool|
|No enlarged NOx, HC, CO, CO2, Soot emissions compared with original when going for MOT and servicing|
|A quality remap from Remapper can alter various functions of ECU to get you the best performance your vehicle need, not just the fuel pressure and fuel duration.|
|The original ECU file & remapped ECU file can be easily installed through this revolutionary tool (Quantum Remapper)|
So Why Would Anyone Buy a Diesel Tuning Box?
- Since so many people agree that a remap will always be able to achieve a better balance of performance, economy and drive-ability than any diesel tuning box, why do so many ‘black box’ solutions exist and why do so many people continue to buy them and fit them to their vehicles? Do people really believe the wild claims made by some of the less reputable diesel tuning box suppliers?
- Well, there are few reputable diesel tuning boxes to name, Even some of the more reputable diesel tuning box manufacturers have been known to get a little ‘creative’ with their fuel economy and performance claims, but few would be foolish enough to claim they can compete with a professional fuel remap.
- Diesel tuning boxes vary greatly in sophistication and price, ranging from the cheap and crude ‘resistor in a box’ type devices, as sold on some auction sites, to the more sophisticated, microprocessor controlled devices that, in some cases, may be able to achieve moderately good results, despite lacking the accuracy and control of a fuel remap.
- Of course one reason for opting for a diesel tuning box over an ECU remap is often cost. While it may be false economy, a diesel tuning box is often cheaper to purchase than a professional remap, giving the perception of being ‘better value for money’, at least in the short term. If combined with other factors, such as a design that facilitates easy installation or quick removal, this may be enough to persuade some people that a diesel tuning box is their best option.
- So what’s best? Tuning box or Remap? The main factor in choosing a remap over a tuning box is that every company’s software is different and it is essential that it is developed properly to ensure good power comes with maintained longevity of engine components. A remap isn’t just a remap… it’s the end result of one person’s individual knowledge!
- It’s important to remember that not all ECU remapping services work in the same way, and choosing the right kind of remap will make a huge difference. Many remapping firms will simply upload a generic remap and send you on your way – but this will not provide you with the best results.
- It’s much better to go for a high quality remap that’s fully customized to your vehicle. At Quantum Tuning, we connect every vehicle to our chassis dyno to test performance as part of the remap, so we can tailor it to meet the idiosyncrasies of your vehicle.